Monday, July 28, 2008

So long Cassette Tapes


Cassette tapes have now vanished 100 % from view. They are rare to find but I still got my box of cassettes laying around. The New York Times yesterday did an article on the funeral of Cassettes at the offices of Hachette and how fast the technology has disappeared.

The Cassette tapes lasted only a few years, and those of us who were brought up on cassettes like myself, staying up during the weeknights trying to catch the Stretch and Bobbito show on WKCR NY 89.9 FM and recording their sets. Now these tapes are just storage fillers but I'm still listening to tapes. I think regardless of everyone going digital, I have a ton of tapes just filled with no labels and going through them is just a matter of time to discover whats in the tapes and I think that is what makes me want to go back into tapes. They definitely have a unique crisp sound.

We all have now spent a ton of money converting to digital through the years, the music industries are getting hit.

CDs are also rapidly disappearing from view with the mp3's and different formats that it has offered, along with the internet music stores. Even look at the music industry for DJ's, from vinyl to mp3's with technology like Serato that really makes it easier for the DJ to play music when they travel but is that the way to go? Apparently a lot of the DJ's are moving toward this movement.

Record shops are closing by the day, due to lack of funding, and in 15-20 years, something new will come to replace downloading.

Let me know what your thoughts on this. Whats next, DVD's are going to be probably compressed to some format similar to how CD's have gone to Mp3's.

No comments:

POPULR POSTS